Barsony Lamp - RARE Water Carrier with Incense Holder
Barsony ceramics was an Australian company in existence from the early 50s until 2005. Their most popular works, however, were only produced from the early 50s to the mid-70s. The company was started by Hungarian immigrant George Barsony and his English-born wife Jean around 1950.
They produced a wide variety of household ceramic items (ashtrays, figurines, wall plaques and lamps) in satin black, lustre, pastel and white finishes, but are best known and loved for their 'black lady lamps'.
Barsony products were so popular in the 50s and 60s that the factory in Sydney's west was operational 24 hours a day to cope with the demand. As with so many things 50s, the lamps became unfashionable in the late 70s/early 80s, and many people thought of them as junk, throwing out to the garage or in a box to collect dust. With the renaissance of MCM and 50s style in the last 15 years or so, they have experienced a huge resurgence in popularity, and are currently among the most sought-after and highly prized homewares among MCM/50s collectors in Australia.